Google

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Tomato thief

I finally discovered what's been nibbling on my tomatoes. Squirrels! I finally got the netting up to protect them from the birds and now the squirrels have decided they like tomatoes better than acorns. I can't seem to get a photo, but I've seen them scampering toward the corner of the netting that keeps getting pulled back, then back across the yard. I guess if it ever stops raining I'll figure out something to do about it.

What doesn't make sense is that the pesky critters are only eating the tomatoes in the main part of the garden and ignoring the extras I planted in pots. No complaints, though. At least we're getting a few to eat! Luckily I haven't been watering this year with all the rain so I'm not as irritated as I might be - I haven't worked too hard for those tomatoes. Still, I'd like to eat a few and Mark's going to be disappointed if I can't make up extra spaghetti sauce this year.

Sadly, my cucumbers don't seem to be producing much, so all I've really got to show for all my springtime gardening is a peck of peppers and several almost-ripe eggplants. Oh well. Better luck next year. I'll try to post some pics of my overgrown veggie garden later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great posting!

I knew had to watch out for squirrels and sunflowers -- now I'll have to keep a lookout to see if they've developed a taste for heirlooms!

;-)

Denise said...

The squirrels around here are crazy. They're huge and eat anything.