Google

Thursday, July 12, 2007

June showers bring...

All the rain in late June and early July brought strange, out of control plants to my backyard. If this plant was in my yard 2 weeks ago, it was just barely starting to grow. The kid next door verified that it was *definitely* not here two weeks ago. Here it is now, along w/ the rest of the overgrown stuff in the back corner of my yard:





That spike at the top above the other plants but not quite as tall as the neighbor's tree is part of this same plant. I know what most of that stuff is - it's all the plants that Mark chopped "too far" back in the early Spring. They are now taking over our yard. Here are a couple of closeups of the mystery plant:
It has white flowers:




And dark pink flowers:

Which turn into green, then dark purple berries:



The berries kind of look like blueberries but don't really have any flavor. (shhhh. Do NOT tell you-know-who I tasted strange plants growing in our yard or he'll have me at the ER before you can say "yuck"!)
It's a really pretty plant and I'd love to know what it is. Anyone know? I'll likely have to cut it down or at least chop it back. And if the berries are edible..... hmmmm.. Strange berry pie anyone?
We also have a few other "not planted" but at least recognized plants out there. Looks like I have my weekend plans set for the next month or two.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

denise - your plant is a pokeweed.
the seeds in the berries are
poisonous.