Google

Monday, March 06, 2006

Career Ambitions

Since I can't find my camera to post pics of any of the exciting things we did this weekend I thought I'd write about my career plans. As many of you know, I am currently just a SAH mom. And while that sounds all fine and dandy and brings up images of eating bonbons while watching Oprah, rest assured that what it really means is I work like a dog for no pay, get a "break" once a week or so and got up three times to see what the little guy is screaming about just while I was writing that sentence.

I love it, though. : )

In addition to being Mom, I also do some volunteer work, with both my church and the PTA. I love my church work and it's not too taxing. All I'll say about PTA is if you are ever asked to be on the PTA board, run screaming from the room and change your name and phone number. Yet, I think PTA is what is going to help me out when I finally get around to getting a paying job.

Believe it or not, I'm a writer by trade. I wrote for a couple of newspapers, wrote a book on the history of a children's home and wrote air quality crap for the state of Texas, among other things. The plan when I quit to SAH was to do some freelance, but it is very hard to do freelance work with no childcare help and an infant who screams nonstop. So, I kinda just quit trying. One day I may try that again, but most likely I'll just go back full or parttime for another company.

So, Friday I get an email asking if anyone can attend a grant writing workshop for PTA members and help write grants for our school in the future. YES, YES, finally something to do for the school that doesn't make me want to cry. Yippeee! And I know that there always seems to be some demand for grant writers with experience. So, maybe, just maybe, it won't be so hard to find a job when I've been out of the workforce 10 or more years after all.

The point of all this is that 1. I probably won't post tomorrow b/c I'll be at the workshop during my "free" time and 2. I'll actually be doing something I'm excited about tomorrow. (not that the MNO wasn't great, but you know what I mean.) 3. I want to publicly thank my husband for taking an hour off of work to cart kids around while I'm at the workshop.

Now I'm off to clean up the mess that was made while I posted that.

6 comments:

Cheryl said...

That sounds great!! Hopefully it'll all work out for you.

-E said...

Good for you! There certainly is a demand for grant writers and when the kids get into school maybe you will have time to freelance.

Anonymous said...

That's great Denise! I'm excited for you!!

Just be sure to leave yourself some sewing time. ;o)

Unknown said...

That sounds wonderful. I'm going to help with PTA next year when the boy is also in school. Have fun!

Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. » »

Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! Pontiac fiero parts car Fluoxetine hypertension breast feeding taking while zoloft Eyeglass mirror zoloft+buy+online hot tubs Auto baccarat rim free road trip bingo Gatlinburg tn visitors vacation information Format os2 hard drive used alfa romeo gtv