Google

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Well, that was fun... sorta

Today was the teacher appreciation lunch at the boys' school and lucky me got to sub for both the boys' teachers while they attended the lunch. How is that possible you ask? Well, it's a huge school so they stagger when the teachers go to the luncheon - they all go at the time their kids go to lunch, then get to stay for an extra half hour. Yep, a whole hour for their lunch. You'd think we'd given them the day off they get so excited. Superman has lunch at 10:30 and Sunshine has lunch at noon, so I actually had 1/2 hour between classes. So I had time to yak w/ the other moms for awhile.

The Kindergarten teachers were apparently worried that parents would lose one of the kids and made color coded nametags with "Kindergarten" and the teacher's name on it just in case. Luckily I know most of Superman's class from volunteering up there so I was able to keep up with most of them. Had a tad bit of trouble w/ the special needs child, since his aide went to the luncheon also, but at least I knew he was supposed to be in "my" class. We were supposed to play BINGO, but then the teacher found out the office was showing a movie (they all have TV's in their room and can turn it on to a certain channel to watch stuff). Something about a little bear that made no sense to me. Then, Ms. S came back and said that was one of her favorite movies. I think she needs to get out more!

Third grade was a bit trickier. No one gave me a nametag and I was supposed to somehow make sure they all washed their hands on the way to lunch. Good luck on that one. At least 3 boys came out with soap still on their hands and I had to send them back. Boys are so weird.

After lunch I got to discuss voice in writing with them. Not something I recall learning as a third grader, but my kid is a genius and apparently in some accelarated school and no one bothered to tell me. I swear. They did economics last month. I didn't learn about economics until high school. I was really impressed with the kids' answers and discussion. Then I read a story while they wrote down when they heard the author using voice in the story. I didn't quite get the assignment, but they did.

I was pleasantly surprised when it was time to go. I thought it would be much harder. Not sure I'm ready for a full day of subbing just yet, but a couple of hours was kind of fun.

No comments: