Google

Monday, September 17, 2007

I hate AT&T

First, let me say that the only reason we have a landline in the first place is for our internet service. We had problems with cable when we moved out here so we switched over to DSL. I'm not really advocating that DSL is better or has better service in general - at our previous house we'd had cable because they couldn't get the DSL to work right there. OK, there we actually went without phone service for weeks at a time because the phone company couldn't be bothered to come out and fix broken lines. Here, they couldn't get cable to work, but no problems with the phone service. At least now until now. But, I digress.

Recently our area changed zip codes. Which has been a huge hassle because many stores and a little site called Google Maps have our new zip code listed as being in an entirely different town. Not just the next town over, but a town I'd never heard of - Sandy, Texas. I'm sure Sandy is a very nice place to live. I'm not dissing it. But, I happen to live in Round Rock, which is in Williamson County, just north of Austin. Sandy is in Blanco County, somewhere between Johnson City and Llano. Nice. So, I'm wondering if that's what's taking my mail so long now that we've changed - does it all have to go to Sandy first?

Well, the change apparently caused some issues with the phone company. Because now that we are in the 78665 zip code, which they have changed for us, we are now outside the city limits of Sandy and we got a card letting us know that our calls to Sandy, Austin and Round Rock are now long distance. Which doesn't really matter since I use my mobile for most calls anyway. But, I find it more than a little disturbing that they want to charge me long distance fees to call my next door neighbor. Since she is also 81.7 miles outside the city limits of Sandy it seems it should be a local call. Am I right here? Yes, I realize I can just walk next door, but what if I just got out of the shower and need to tell her something urgent? It's the principle of the thing.

After a 30 minute wait I finally reach "Bill," who has a suspicious accent for someone with such a genericly English sounding name. "Bill" proceeds to tell me that I need some kind of pin number for him to talk to me about my account. I don't have a pin number. I just need him to tell me what I need to do to get myself relisted as living in Round Rock instead of Sandy. I can go find the number later and call back when I get my ducks in a row, but I need to know what type of info I need to send them to straighten it out. I'm not asking for account changes right now. I'm not asking for personal information. I'm not asking to sell my firstborn son into slavery. I'm just asking for some general information about how to fix a problem so I can go get the necessary info and send it to them. Surely he can tell me some general info without a pin number. I think the pin number is written in the booklet that the DSL guy gave us when we moved in 5 years ago. It's filed somewhere but I'm not really sure where since it's been 5 years since I've needed my 7-digit telephone number pin code. Seriously. Do people really just *know* these things? Gah.

Unfortunately, "Bill" "cannot give out any special information related to the account holder's account without accessing the account holder's 7-digit-pin number or the long distance telephone number calls in question to the account holder." Niiiice. There aren't any long distance calls in question YET. I'm trying to prevent problems rather than wait for them to happen. Thanks Bill. Thanks AT&T. I may be giving cable internet a try again soon. And if you start seeing calls to Sandy, TX on your phone bill, it's me. Since I now live outside the city limits of Sandy. 81.7 miles outside the city limits.

What a way to start the week. Now I get to go get new tires on my car. I can hardly wait.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

ROFLMAO...

When you're done, you can pop on over here and get my car inspected if you want... just for added fun on your Monday.

Denise said...

Bwahahaahahaahahaha. Sure Candy. Whatever you need.

Anonymous said...

Hello !.
might , probably very interested to know how one can make real money .
There is no initial capital needed You may start earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
AimTrust represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with structures around the world.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your choice That`s what you wish in the long run!

I`m happy and lucky, I started to take up income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to select a correct companion who uses your money in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to start , just click this link http://tufajymip.100megsfree5.com/arotek.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take this option together to become rich

Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have were times of hardship when I felt unhappy missing knowledge about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright pessimistic person.
I have never thought that there weren't any need in large starting capital.
Nowadays, I feel good, I begin take up real money.
It's all about how to select a proper partner who uses your money in a right way - that is incorporate it in real deals, parts and divides the profit with me.

You may ask, if there are such firms? I have to tell the truth, YES, there are. Please get to know about one of them:
http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]